Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mommy's Project 52:20 Cooking




Cooking is something I still find frustrating. It is not my pleasure but something I do because it need to be done. It needs to healthy, it needs to have variety, it need to be something that both my husband and my kids will eat, and it need to be done quickly and efficiently. I have tried lots of different approaches and am still looking for the best way to do it.

I tried index cards with 30 different meal plans and then each week, I will deal out 7 different meals and shop for the ingredients. It worked for a while but then I grew restless with it. Then I tried a weekly meal planner on the refrigerator and planned for the week. It works pretty well as long as I can pick the meal that day depending on circumstances. If I am having a great day, I can spend more time at the stove or prepping veggies but if it is a not so good day then I want something that can be thrown in the oven and baked. With the recent move meal planning has been thrown out the window and replaced with easy to make meals or take-out. I am ready to get my kitchen in order and get back on track.

My son is a picky eater and so I have tried to include him in the meal planning and veggie picking. My husband gets frustrated because I don't make his favorite foods as much. But they are usually not things the kids will eat so he gets what he likes less often.

I have a new kitchen and a new opportunity to get this cooking thing to work for me. I don't think I will ever love to cook but I want to make it more enjoyable and less frustrating. I am looking forward to reading about how other moms handle the chore of cooking.

On the fun side, I do bake with the kids but that is the not the same thing as cooking supper/dinner. Here are some pictures of us making our Christmas cookies this week. They both took their jobs very seriously. I am glad that Daddy likes to eat cookies no matter the color of the frosting or how many sprinkles or fingerprints are on the cookies.






No comments:

Post a Comment