Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mommy's Project 52:43 Speaking





When I think of speaking, I am amazed at how easily typically developing children learn to speak.  When I worked in special education it was such a battle for those students who had trouble developing speech.  Every new preposition and every new sentence was a cause for celebration.  By watching my own children, I was amazed at how easily it was for them to pick up a new word or a new turn of speech.  It is so amazing how most of our brains are wired to learn speech so easily.  I am constantly amazed at how children can use what they hear to make their own unique combination of words and phrases. They don't just imitate what we say but can take it and make it their own.  I am so thankful that speaking is not a struggle for them.  It is something that should not be taken for granted and is so wonderful to witness first hand.  I think when I go back to teaching when my youngest goes to Kindergarten, I will be a better teacher for the lessons I have learned from my own children.


Car conversation with my 5 year old yesterday:


Son: I won't have to worry about money when I grow up because I am going to be an inventor.
Me: The key is getting someone to buy your invention.
Son: Ozzy (from Survivor) will buy my pills invention.
Me: What do your pills do? 
Son: They make your blood not smell so you don't have to worry about sharks.


Conversation with my 2 year old before nap time today:


Daugherter: I have boo-boo.
Me: Show me where.
Daughter: I probably need band-aid.
Me: I think it will be okay (rubbing the spot that was perfectly fine but a way to delay nap time).
Daughter: I hungry.
Me: We just finished lunch.  Bed or rock?
Daughter: I need go pee-pee in the potty?
Me: We already did that.  Bed or rock?
Daughter: rock.. I need blankie.. I cold.
Me: Okay, you are all tucked in.  We will rock for five minutes and then I will put you in your bed.
Daughter:  okay, Mommy. (snuggles against me)


Note: I had every intention of posting blogs from my mom's house the past three weeks but her internet connection while not dial-up felt like it to me.  So I am way behind on the Mommy's Project posts.  More posts to follow until I catch back up. 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! Oh, that conversation (with your daughter) has been had many times in our house. And I hope your son is a successful inventor!!

    ReplyDelete