Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mommy's Project 52:27 Saving




Saving can be cool. For example, my mom saved the dress I wore for my one year old birthday. She gave it to me when I had a little girl and I put the dress on her and took pictures when she turned one. That turned out to be really cool and I was glad my mom had kept up with it all those years.


I have a difficult time with saving too much stuff from my kids. I have an entire tub of clothes from the two of them since they were born. I keep telling myself every time I try to add new things to go through and get rid of a few more outfits. I also have way too many preschool papers from my son. I figure a little time will help me whittle it down to a few dozen good samples.

How do you decide what to save? I am in a year long project to reduce the amount of paper in my house. I am in the process of setting up a virtual filing cabinet and scanning documents and receipts I want to keep. I have a whole file I did the other day waiting to be taken to the shreader. I don't know why but it is very difficult for me to get rid of stuff like that. I can go back and tell you the date of service and find the receipt for every medical claim and dental claim since we were married. Why do I like being able to do that? Will I ever need that knowledge after I file my taxes this year?

I want to be able to have some special stuff to give to my daughter when she grows up that she will appreciate like the one year old dress. Now if I can somehow separate that from all the other stuff I like to save. It seems that people are savers or throwers and I don't know many people that are in between. Are you a saver?



3 comments:

  1. I save a few papers from Allyssa each month and maybe one from David if he actually colors something. I want to save the preemie shirt that Allyssa wore in the hospital. It was so big on her when she was born. It looks so tiny now. As I go through things of the girls as Kaytlin grows, I hope that I think to save some of it. Maybe special homemade dresses from both of their Grandmas. I save much less for David right now, but that might change as he gets older. I am generally a purger. I have to work to remember to set something aside. Allyssa often tells me that she's sad because I put something she made in the recycling or give a piece of it to a store clerk as a coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that your mom saved your party dress and your daughter gets to wear it!! Love that:) I also have tubs full of baby clothes and stuff I can't part with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saving kid's things is totally worth it! My dad saved so much of mine, and I really appreciate it. My kids are now playing with some of the toys I played with while growing up (and even some of my dad's old toys). It's great!

    And scanning and then shredding papers is a must! :)

    ReplyDelete